Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Excited

So, its been a big week. A destination wedding of a life long friend and the actual start of MBA school. Solid gold. Solid gold.

Sara von Lake's Hawaii Wedding. I mean anytime anyone has a wedding please make it multiple days and in a beautiful place. This one was like getting a hug. (very much like the majority of my summer.) All of Vermont was transfered to the Big Island. And suddenly skits and Hawaiian shirts were the norm as were giblets before 5pm. Old and new came together to celebrate and that is what happened. I want to list here the moments and food and levels of intoxication but that would minimize the goodness. The entire deal was real and true and a long g-damn time coming. As I flew to Hawaii, a mere 6 hours from Portland. I kept thinking this (Sara getting married) is one of the few things I know and have known for many years is going to happen. And it did. And obviously it was amazing. Solid. Gold.

MBA School.

I guess I wish you all knew how funny it is. It is what many of us would think. This evening while reading Principals of Corporate Finance I came across this gem, "The business and financial sections of most United States dailies are, except for local news, nearly worthless for the financial manager." (Brealy Meyers Allen, 10) And this is after it said the Times was fine. Wall Street Journal, Wall Street Journal, Wall Street Journal. I love when things are exactly how we make fun of them.

Additional Observations:
  • A lot of soda is consumed, even in the mornings.
  • Amount of sport references is, almost, excessive.
  • People love Nike.
  • People love Starbucks. And they take it in disposable containers. And it is adjacent to a local coffee shop.
  • Lots of talk of Walmart.
Now, I think what is most amazing, is a total lack of judgement on my part. I have been near to, mostly in planning school, a group of people who do not have any of the above preferences with the exception of Walmart talk the majority of which is negative. It is amazing. And what I am going to learn is so useful. My father made the point earlier today that this is what any sort of professional school is like coming from a liberal arts school. Sure. But seriously, this stuff is the everyday in America.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Awesome realizations and understanding of your place in this world. Love, MOMO