Monday, October 15, 2007

This is from Thursday (in an email)

Today was one of the more embarrassing moments in my past few years. I had a succcessful meeting with Department of Human services and was given food stamps. Yes. I walked out of the place with a small, cute Oregon Trail card with money for groceries. I was psyched. I still haven't gotton my stipend and so this morning for breakfast I had almonds and an apple. (yes, Darzy, I know this is an ideal meal for you, but I had run and am at altitude...) Anyway, lunch rolled around and the plan was to head to the grocery store and use my food stamps and then go home and have lunch. Perfect. I spent about 45 min shopping. With all of the free money I decided to buy a lot of stuff like mustard, olive oil, two things of cranberry juice, peanut butter, and a lot of basics. I spend all my money and realize I cannot possibly walk home with all of my groceries. I left the building and was in the parking lot. I saw a nice lady walk out and I asked her if she could drop me off with my groceries. No, but you know you are allowed to take the cart home as long as you bring it back. Yeahright. Another lady hears us talking and says, "Really, you can take it home. I see those carts all the way on the west side of town." At that point I was forced to choose between asking another person for a ride or walking home with a grocery cart. I choose the cart. Absolutly embarrassing. That coupled with the fact that I had just used food stamps. I was pretty much poster-worthy poverty. Well, except that I was wearing danskos and jcrew. Whatever. So embarrassing. And then I brought the cart back. Terrible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I am proud of you keeping up the west coast swang. Dont get too crunk. Always wear your stunna shades. More posts. Its been too long.