Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Oregon Outback a.k.a. Lake County

Alright, I am firing up this old travel blog with new posts on my latest adventure to the West Coast. Why I am here will come later but for now some stats on my new home:

-8,300 square miles
-6,800-7,500 people (depends on who you ask)
-Connecticut would fit nicely into this county
-worldclass flyfishing, hunting, ranching
-no lake that I have seen
-a large meth problem
-only one chain, Subway, which everyone suggests I eat at
-lots of good coffee
-1:23, ratio of bars to churches

I asked some folks about where running is good and was told repeatedly to watch out for cougars (not the 30+ women but the actual predator.) Ok. I asked what I can do and the reply was not run into them or bring a pistol. This afternoon I was told I should learn to shoot just in case I come across any sort of predator like a cougar or a bear. Nice.

Even though Lakeview has a population of 3,500 it somehow seems more isolated then Vinalhaven, ME. Shocking.

The best thing I have found is this place called the meat locker. It is a butcher shop with all beef and other meats from this county. They cut, cure, marinate, and smoke everything right there. It is heaven. Last night I had some smoked beef, 1.4 lbs, I got home and didn't have any silverware, just a large knife and stood in my kitchen and ate about half of it. So good. I think I am going to go on atkins.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Miss you and love you...hope you're doing well...can't wait to keep up with your travels...

Unknown said...

i think cougars are actually 40+...let's be honest, 30+ is just a little too close to home.

MOM said...

Erin I think a pistol is your best bet for the cougars of all types.Maybe there is a specialty business in Oregon, that has a mini holster, similiar to the armholders for Ipods, for this particular issue. Maybe it is a new business idea for the people you will be working with!

Anonymous said...

I was in LA this past weekend. Didn't see any cougars, but did see Jaguars, Bentleys, Ferraris, and Rolls Royce's. Another world for me as well and 180 degrees different than the one you are in... this world is so large and small at the same time! Miss you!

Bernadette said...

remember when you were a crunchy veggie and shuttered at the idea of meat...and the eased yourself back into the meateating world with a pigroast?

Unknown said...

What's up cougar cub?! You should know you're not safe anywhere in America unless you have a gun. Quick story: my cousin Wayne got attacked by a cougar in Washington state once. He ended up getting Chancroids. Yikes! Lesson: live your life, but always bring protection.