Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Impressions

Ok. So lots has happened in the past few weeks: attended my first rodeo, moved to Eugene, started grad school... I have a lot to say and some good pictures which I hope I will share. Blogging sometimes feels like therapy in that if I think about what I am going to say it ends up contrived and I feel like I have already resolved all issues (in therapy) or my astute observations have become unfunny (blogging.)

I just got back from an overnight retreat in the Cascades with the folks in my program first year students and professors. It was nice and simple and Oregon.

  1. Many people, perhaps the majority, wore low hiking boots. I think that some of you would assume that I do the same on a regular basis, but I do not. I learned about the fashion sneaker sometime in 2002. There was a hiking option, but LBH, there's no way anyone would hit the trail in their jeans and low hikers.
  2. Lots of wedding rings.
  3. No one has heard of Wesleyan. And I realize how old/far I've come by not asking everyone where they went to school. More like what have you been up to recently.
  4. No one responds negatively to super annoying people. They just don't react at all. I find this super impressive and makes me realize even more the level of professionalism that is grad school.
  5. I think people used the word "sustainability" about 50 hundred times over the past two days.
  6. Everyone was pumped about doing good in the world. For real. Everyone wants to solve problems and make positive change. Awesome. I am excited to be surrounded by these people for the next couple years.

And about Eugene:
  1. It has rained only about twice since I've been here about 9 days. It was cold and wet. It makes me fear the "winter rains" which I've heard about on OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting.)
  2. After I make relevant, smart observations about Eugene and its citizenry I often get the response "oh, thats Eugene." I find this annoying and condescending. And it makes me feel out of place and not part of the gang.
  3. Everyone bikes here. Everyone sort of judges people who use cars. People love bikes and talking about bikes. I am a happy owner of three.

No comments: